Friday, January 15, 2010

Crock Pot Lime Chicken and Rice


Pour a can of chicken broth in the crock-pot. Finely cop 2 cloves of garlic. Squeeze 2 small limes or 1 large lime (appx 1/4 cup) of juice into broth. Add 2 to 4 tbsp of butter and about 1/4 tsp ground thyme. Put in 3 to 4 pieces of chicken. I turn the temp to high for the first hour, then low the rest of the time. Let cook for 8 to 10 hours. The last 15 minutes add 1 cup instant white rice. ( I usually wind up adding appx another half cup).
I always make some corn and mix it together when I serve it. Something about the corn really brings out and compliments the lime.

*Instead of adding instant rice, I just added some leftover rice I had cooked already.  Black beans just seemed to go with this meal as well as a little cilantro.  Jeff and the kids mixed the chicken, rice, beans, and corn together and ate it over chips with a little sour cream.  The next day I had leftovers on a tortilla.

As a side note, I got to use one of my favorite kitchen gadgets for this recipe: the garlic press.  If you love cooking with garlic, this is a must!  I use it weekly!  Though I still get some garlic smell on my fingers (from peeling the garlic), the press saves me from having to finely chop it.  Let me know what gadgets you can't live without--or if you have a secret for getting onion/garlic smell off your fingers!

No comments:

Post a Comment