Monday, July 11, 2011

Chocolate Chip Cookie Pretzel Bars

From Two Peas and Their Pod taken from Food and Wine

I have to admit, I love the sweet-salty combination and I was expecting a little more from this recipe then I got, but I post it here because I think I might want to give it another shot.  I only had the pretzel sticks, next time, I'll try the pretzel twists; I think they would break up better and make for a better distribution in the cookie.  Also, I just used semi-sweet chocolate chips and I have a feeling I would have liked the bittersweet more.  My kids called them brownie-cookies (they aren't used to the bar formation!).  Baking all the dough in one batch likes this made for less time in the kitchen!

Ingredients:
2 cups flour
1 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
1 c light brown sugar
1/2 c sugar
2 large eggs
2 t pure vanilla extract
12 ounces bittersweet chocolate chips
1 1/2 c mini pretzels, coarsely chopped.
2 T chocolate sprinkles

Directions:
1.  Preheat the oven to 350°. Spray a 9-by-13-inch pan with cooking spray.
2.  In a bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda and salt. Using a mixer, beat the butter with both sugars at medium speed until light and fluffy, about 1 minute. Beat in the eggs and vanilla extract. On low, beat in the dry ingredients, just until incorporated. Stir in the chocolate chips and pretzel pieces.
3.  Spread the batter evenly in the pan. Press the batter down with a spatula. If you want to use the sprinkles, sprinkle them on top of the batter. Bake for 30 minutes, until golden brown. The middle might be a little gooey but that is ok, the bars will set up. Transfer the pan to a rack and let cool completely.
4.  Use a knife to go around the side of the pan to loosen the bars. Cut the bars in squares and serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment