From Cooking Essentials
4 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp salt
1 tsp intant yeast
1 1/4 cups lukewarm water
1 T plus 1 t sunflower oil (I used olive oil)
1. Measure the flour, salt, and yeast into a large bowl.. Pour in the water adn 1 T oil and mix to a soft dough. Add 2-3 tsp more lukewarm water if necessary.
2. Put the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 10 minutes.
3. Rub 1 tsp oil around a large bowl. Turn teh dough in the oil, then cover bowl with placstic wrap. Let stand in a warm place for 1 1/2 hours, or until doubled in size.
4. Grease an 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 loaf pan. Put the dough onto the wark surface and roll it into an 8 x 7 rectangle.
5. Roll the dough from one long side. Drop it into the pan with the seam underneth. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place for 30 minutes, or until risen 1 in above the pan.
6. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Bake the loaf for 10 minutes, then lower the heat to 400 degrees F for 30-40 minutes longer, or until golden brown. Turn the loaf out of the pan and tap it on the bottom.. It should shound hollow. If not, place it upside down in the oven for a few minutes more. Cool on a rack.
*This is a hearty, thick bread. We served it with stew so it was perfect.