Saturday, July 2, 2011

Caprese Paninis and Garlic-Basil Mayo

*I've made these a half a dozen times since I discovered this recipe.  So good I almost convinced myself that I need a panini maker--and then I remembered I owned a George Forman!  It works great.  Love it--any way you make it.


Ingredients:
Panini bread or any delicious sliced bread
Fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
Fresh basil
Tomatoes, sliced
Olive Oil and/or Balsamic Vinegar and/or Garlic Basil Mayo (recipe below)
Salt & Pepper

Directions:
Place your sliced mozzarella cheese, basil and tomatoes on a slice of bread. Sprinkle some salt and pepper, then drizzle with a bit of olive oil and/or balsamic vinegar, or spread the bread with Garlic Basil Mayo before putting ingredients on the bread. Top sandwich with second slice of bread and cook in a panini maker or on the stove in a skillet with another skillet on top over medium heat. When side 1 is lightly browned, flip and cook until side 2 is browned and the cheese is melted.



Garlic Basil Mayonnaise
From Jane Maynard, This Week for Dinner
- Mayonnaise
- Salt and Pepper
- Fresh garlic clove
- Fresh chopped basil, a few leaves worth
For three good-sized paninis, I simply scooped out about three spoonfuls of mayonnaise into a bowl. I threw in some basil, two shakes of salt, two shakes of pepper, and 1/2 of a garlic clove pushed through a garlic press. Mix together and spread on bread for Caprese Paninis.



No comments:

Post a Comment