Friday, February 12, 2010
Brown Sugar Asparagus
Cooking time: 16 minutes
Serves 6 (or less if you love it like we do)
2 pounds fresh asparagus spears
3 T butter
2 T firmly packed light brown sugar
3/4 c chicken broth
Orange zest strips, optional for garnish
1. Snap off the thick woody ends of the asparagus spears and discard.
2. Heat the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat until melted. Stir in brown sugar. Cook, stirring continually, until brown sugar dissolves.
3. Add the asparagus to the brown sugar mixture, turning to coat. Sautee for 2 minutes.
4. Add the chicken broth to the skillet. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, until the asparagus is crisp-tender, about 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer the asparagus with a slotted spoon to a serving platter, reserving the pan juices in the skillet. Cover asparagus to keep warm.
5. Cook reserved pan juices in the skillet over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until reduced by half. Drizzle over the asparagus. Garnish with orange zest strips, if desire. Serve immediately.
*I love asparagus. My husband and I can usually finish the whole plate (the kiddos help a little bit). Definitely a treasured recipe!