Monday, February 8, 2010

Simple Syrup

1 c water
1 c sugar
6 strawberries, sliced (optional)

1. Bring water, sugar, and, if desired, strawberries to a boil in a saucepan, stirring until sugar dissolves; boil 1 minute. Remove from heat. If necessary, pour syrup through a wire-mesh strainer into a bowl, discarding fruit; cool. Makes about 1 ½ cups.

*The strawberries make this syrup, yum!  We used frozen berries and didn't strain them (as you can see in the photo--and don't worry, we didn't drink it straight, the glass was merely to show the beautiful pink color of the syrup).  I did think it was a little runny, so after trying it, I returned it to the stove and added 2 t cornstarch mixed with an equal amount of cold water.  This did make it a little more syrupy.  Simple and easy, I'll never let having no syrup in my pantry stop me from making breakfast again.  See also French Toast.

No comments:

Post a Comment