Friday, November 5, 2010

Homemade Noodles

Prep time: 25 min
Dry time: 4 hours
From Granny's Homemade Noodles
Ingredients:
4 eggs
2 T water
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder

Directions:
1.  Beat the eggs and water together in a bowl.  Sift the dry ingredients together in a separate large bowl and make a well in the middle.  Pour the beaten eggs into the well, then stir in the dry ingredients until a soft dough forms.
2.  Roll the dough into a very thin layer on a lightly-floured surface; cut into 1/2 inch strips.  Allow to dry at least 4 hours before using.

This is only the second time I've made homemade noodles.  I was pleased with the result and look forward to practicing this or would be willing to try anyone else's tried and true noodle recipe.  Just a couple of notes:  I had to add a bit more water because I didn't feel like the dough was coming together--I probably used 4 T water altogether.  Also, roll the dough as THIN as possible.  When you've rolled it out as thin as you think you can, turn it over and roll it out again (this really helped).


I tried 2 different ways of cutting the dough.  First, I rolled the dough up and cut it with a string or a knife (this is how I remember seeing my mother-in-law do it).  That worked well (as long as I didn't squeeze the dough too much) except that it was kind of tedious unrolling each cut; of course my 2 year old was being a tremendous amount of help ;).



When I was half way done, I decided to unroll the remaining dough and use a pizza cutter.  I think this was easier, although I was extremely cautious not to scratch my kitchen counter.  If you don't plan on using your noodles in the same day, let them dry for a couple of hours and then loosely gather them into a bird's nest, place them in a freezer bag, and freeze them.  When ready to use, remove from freezer and let thaw at room temperature for a couple of hours.  Drop into boiling water or soup and cook for 12-15 minutes.  Delicious in Grannie's Chicken Noodle Soup.

*Since this posting, Grannie gave me her recipe.  It is my new preference.

No comments:

Post a Comment