Friday, November 5, 2010

Artichokes

Adapted from Allrecipes


Ingredients:
2 whole artichokes
2 T butter
2 cloves garlic, sliced
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
1.  Fill large pot with a couple of inches of water.  Bring to a full boil over high heat.  While water is heating, trim and discard the stems and tough outer leaves of artichokes (cut off all the poky parts with scissors and slice off a portion of the top).  Tuck slivers of butter and slices of garlic into artichoke leaves.
2.  When water is boiling, place steamer insert in pot and set artichokes in steamer, stem-side down (I don't have a steamer so I placed a tin pie pan in the bottom of the pot and put the artichokes in there--I don't know if it mattered, but they cooked beautifully).  Cover pot with lid and allow artichokes to steam for approximately 25 minutes, until tender (when a leaf pulls off easily).
3.  Removed artichokes.  Dip flesh in a mix of butter, salt and pepper.

*Recently, I got two artichokes as part of a produce co-op.  The only time I have ever had an artichoke was 10 years ago as a missionary.  This was an easy way to cook them.  I was proud of Jacob for eating a couple of leaves and Jeff liked them, too.  I have to admit, the delicate flavor was a perfect excuse to have a little salty butter....hmmm, butter.  This was a fancy treat, but not something I would routinely buy artichokes for.

No comments:

Post a Comment