Friday, November 5, 2010

Brown-Sugar-Glazed Winter Squash

Serves 6 to 8

Don’t mix the brown sugar and butter ahead of time; it will crystallize and separate. Butternut squash can be stringy when undercooked, so if you’re not sure, err on the side of overcooking.

2 medium butternut squash or buttercup squash (about 2 1/2 pounds each)
5 tablespoons unsalted butter , melted
5 tablespoons dark brown sugar

Adjust oven rack to upper-middle position, place baking sheet on rack, and heat oven to 400 degrees. Split squash in half lengthwise and scrape out seeds. Remove baking sheet from oven and position squash cut side down. Return quickly to oven and roast until tender and flesh is easily pierced through skin with skewer, 40 to 50 minutes. Remove from oven, turn cut side up, and set oven to broil. Whisk butter and sugar together in small bowl, brush mixture on squash, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and broil until browned and crisp, about 5 minutes. Serve.

I had made a similar butternut squash a couple of weeks ago and then came across this recipe.  I thought I'd try it just for fun.  I liked it both ways, but this way the squash seemed even more tender.  Just plain good all around.  I only cooked one squash tonight but mixed the same amount of butter and sugar.  I had plenty of butter/sugar mix, next time I'll half it as one is plenty for my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment