Sunday, January 9, 2011

Grilled Flatbread with Ricotta Cheese, Fresh Tomatoes, Basil and Roasted Garlic Oil

Adapted from foodnetwork
Ingredients:
1/4 cup olive oil (I used about 3 tablespoons)
6 cloves roasted garlic (see home from this recipe)
1 recipe Flatbread, (see below)
1 8-ounce container ricotta cheese, drained
salt and freshly ground pepper
3 plum tomatoes, very thinly sliced
2 T fresh basil
2 T Parmesan cheese (optional)

Directions:
1.  Place oil and roasted garlic in blender and blend until smooth.  Strain.  (I followed these directions, though next time I think I save myself having to clean my blender and just break up the garlic and mix with the oil--seems to make sense if you don't mind a few pieces of garlic on your bread).
2.  Divide the dough in 4 parts.  Flatten flatbread dough, gently press into a large rectangle, brush liberally with olive oil, and throw on grill.  Grill on first side until golden brown then lightly on other side.  Remove from grill.  On the side more cooked, spread the ricotta, sprinkle with salt and pepper, scatter tomatoes over, drizzle with roasted garlic oil, and garnish with basil, Parmesan, and more freshly ground pepper.  (The original recipe did not cook the toppings, but I love cooked tomatoes, so this is how I chose to do it--very good).
3.  Return to grill to warm through.  Serve immediately.  

Flatbread Directions:
Ingredients
1 1/2 cups warm water (105 to 110 degrees F)
1/2 teaspoon active dry yeast
4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons olive or canola oil, plus more for bowl

Directions
1.  Mix water and yeast in a large bowl and let stand for 5 minutes to proof.  Gradually pour in 2 cups of the flour and stir to incorporate.  Mix for about 1 minute to form a sponge.  Let stand, covered, for at least an hour.
2.  Put sponge in the bowl of a stand mixer.  Using the dough hook, add the salt and oil, then add the flour, 1/2 cup at a time, to form a dough.  Remove from bowl and knead.  Place in a clean oiled bowl and let rise, slowly, about 2 1/2 hours.  Divide dough into 4 balls, if desired, let rise again for 1/2 hour, and then roll out as desire.
Yield: 4 individual flatbreads or 1 large flatbread.

So my husband surprised me with a grill for Christmas--yes, it is for me, I've wanted one for years!  Despite the cold, we've been out there using it and loving it!  Everything tastes so good on the grill!  I had some ricotta cheese that I wanted to use so when I found this recipe, I just had to give it a whirl.  So good!  A few notes--the toppings as written covered only 2 of the 4 flatbread doughs (maybe I top a bit too generously), so we made pizza with just some basic ingredients we had on hand.  I didn't list any grilling times because I'm still learning and each grill can be so different.  I was very impressed that the dough cooked through without being too crisp, just watch it.  To warm the ricotta/tomato mixture, I put in on the upper shelf of the grill and let it cook for about 5 minutes.  I'll definitely being doing this again.  The pizza was great, the flatbread was amazing--try it with some balsamic vinegar.  We were in heaven.

2 comments:

  1. That is so fun that you got a grill. I too wanted a grill a few years ago and Scott got it for me for Mothers day. Maybe some think of it as a man's gift but I sure do love my grill and use it all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Amy! I agree! The best part, Jeff's been cleaning it after I cook on it!

    ReplyDelete