Friday, January 14, 2011

Apple Pie

From Janet


Ingredients:
2 T tapioca
5 to 6 Rome Beauty apples, including 1 green apple (I used 3 Braeburns and 2 golden delicious, that's what I had on hand and they tasted great, next time I'll add 1 or 2 more)
lemon juice
1 c sugar
1 t nutmeg
2 t cinnamon
2 t butter on top (I'm sure I was more generous than this)

Directions:
1.  Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2.  Prepare pie crust.  Poke holes in bottom of crust.  Sprinkle with tapioca.
3.  Slice, peel, and core apples.  Sprinkle with lemon juice and put into uncooked crust.  The apples will shrink down during cooking so pile them in.
4.  Mix sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon together.  Sprinkle over apples.
5.  Dot top of apples with butter.
6.  Cover pie with top of crust.  Roll over edges and crease together.  Make slits if no holes are present in top of crust.  Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar.
7.  Bake at 400 degrees F for 20 min then 350 degrees for 40 min.

*When my husband and I were dating, he helped me make a couple of apple pies to take to a big extended family Thanksgiving dinner.  This was the first time he had met my parents or anyone else in my family.  Trying to be impressive, I glazed the pie with a mix of egg whites and water, but the egg got away from me and went into the pie.  My husband was such a great sport, he made sure that he got that slice at the dinner and acted like it was the best pie he ever tasted.  That was a fun day to remember.  Last night I surprised him by making pie for no special reason.  As our three children sat at the bar eating their pie and ice cream, we sat at the table enjoying ours.  Our kids were telling each other, "Our mom is the best cook ever," and my husband told me, "This is exactly how I pictured us 8 years ago the first time you made me pie."  It was just one of those great days.  I hope your pie day is as unforgettable!

No comments:

Post a Comment