Thursday, September 16, 2010

Chicken Stew

*A week or so ago I was trying to clean out leftover ingredients in my fridge and came up with this recipe.  I didn't write it down or take any pictures because I didn't know what a success it would be.  I had to try to replicate it today and much to my pleasure, it was again a success (it's not often we eat the same dinner twice in a month, the picture doesn't do it justice).  I have a feeling this will be a good stand by for 3 reasons: (1) good on the budget and simple to make, (2) there aren't any special ingredients I really have to plan ahead for, and (3) everyone likes it!

Ingredients:
2 t olive oil
3 bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts (I have combined these with boneless, skinless--either work just fine, but I would recommend the bone-in for 2 reasons--the meat seemed to be moister and it is less expensive)
1 cup chicken broth
3-4 carrots, sliced in about 1 inch rounds (these have been the first things eaten from the meal)
1 medium-large onion, chopped
1 t salt
1/2 t pepper
1 t fresh basil
flour/cornstarch (to thicken gravy)

Directions:
1.  Heat olive oil in oven-safe saucepan.  Sear chicken on both sides.  Add carrots, onion, and broth.  Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and basil.
2.  Cover and bake at 275 degrees F for 1 1/2 hours or until chicken juices run clear.
3.  Remove chicken and veggies from broth.  Thicken with flour/cornstarch dissolves in 1/2 cup cold water.  Let cook for a few minutes.  Serve with rice.

*I bet celery would taste good in this, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment