Thursday, September 16, 2010

Beef Roast

Assumption #1:  A roast should be full of flavor
Assumption #2:  A roast should be fairly easy to make
Assumption #3:  Every Sunday, we should have roast (that's my husband's assumption)
Assumption #4:  Above all else, a roast should be TENDER!


*After many tries of making a tender, fall apart beef roast, this one fit the bill.  I'll admit that I'm still not the roast expert I want to be--nor the gravy queen (I'll happily take suggestions).  However, my 5 year old said, "Mom, can you put this whole dinner on your blog so we can make it again?"  That (and the fact we didn't have any leftovers) was enough for me.


Ingredients:
2 t olive oil
4 lbs beef roast
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 bay leaves
1 t salt
1/2 t pepper


Directions:
1.  Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
2.  Heat a heavy Dutch oven on top of the stove over medium high heat. Add oil, and sear meat in the center of the pan for 4 minutes. Turn meat over with tongs; sear all sides for 3 to 4 minutes on each side. Remove meat from pan. Arrange onion, garlic, and 1 bay leaf in the bottom of the pan, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Return meat to pan, place remaining bay leaf on top of meat, and cover. 
3.  Cook in the oven for 30 minutes at 300 degrees F. Reduce the heat to 275 degrees F, and cook for 2 1/2 hours. Remove roast to a platter to rest for 10 to 15 minutes. Slice, and top with onions and gravy. (Thicken the drippings with a little bit of flour to make gravy).


*I fibbed a little on the cooking time as church is 3 hours long--and it is about 3 1/2 hours that we are away from the house, but the meat turned out just fine.  I'm sure the degrees and time can be adjusted slightly to fit your meal schedule.

1 comment:

  1. You may already know this but I have found that it really depends on the cut of beef roast that you get. My mom used to always buy the round roast and they are just not fall apart tender roasts, no matter how you cook them. I buy the chuck roast or pot roast if I want a roast that falls apart when cooked. I also always cook my roast in the crock pot because then it is less likely that I will burn it. I don't trust myself!! :-) You are making some yummy food. I really need to get back into the swing of things. We need to get together soon!

    ReplyDelete