Thursday, April 8, 2010

Turkey Tetrazzini--my take


  •    8 ounces (1/2 package) uncooked spaghetti
  •    1 T olive oil
  •    2 celery stalks, diced
  •    2 T minced onions (I used dried because that's what I had)
  •    2 T butter
  •    1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  •    1 chicken bullion cube
  •    1 c water
  •    1 cup milk
  •    3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  •    2 cups chopped cooked turkey

Directions

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a medium baking dish (I used a 2 quart size).

2.  Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add spaghetti, and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente. Drain, and place in the prepared baking dish.

3.  Saute celery and onions in olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat.  When vegetables are soft, add garlic and butter.  Cook for a minute or so more

4.  Add flour and stir until a nice, nutty rue is formed. Mix in water, bullion cube and slowly add milk.

5.  Cook and stir until the mixture comes to a boil. Stir in about 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, and remove from heat.

6.  Mix milk mixture and turkey with spaghetti. Top with remaining cheese. Bake 20 minutes in the preheated oven, until surface is lightly browned.


*I was trying to find a way to use left-over turkey and pulled this idea from a combination of sources.  Let me say, both my 5 year old and 3 year old said magical words when I served it (it is so nice to be appreciated!)  My one your old didn't say anything, but had 3 helpings and the next day it disappeared at lunch time.  At least it won on the taste test, but I will admit that it is very rich, a little too much so for my liking.  Next time, I will use skim milk and try using a little less butter and oil.  If your a mushroom fan, I believe mushrooms are usually including in a recipe like this.  I sprinkled mine with a little bit of dried tarragon before serving.  Bon appetite! 

No comments:

Post a Comment