Thursday, January 28, 2010

Bagels

1 ½ cups warm water
1 Tbsp yeast
2 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
4-5 cups flour

Mix together. Raise 20 minutes. Shape into bagels (this works best to stick your thumb through a ball)
In boiling water, cook bagels for 30 secs on each side. Bake 350* for 10-15 minutes

Makes 12 small ones or 6 large ones.

*This was the first time I made bagels--something I never thought I'd be able to do.  It was surprisingly simple.  They reminded me of the bagels I used to eat at college made by the culinary students (they were such a temptation as their aroma drifted into our classroom where we sat hours on end).  I do have a few notes I'd like to remember for next time:  (1)  I let the yeast and water sit for 5 minutes before adding the other ingredients.  (2)  I added just barely over 4 cups of flour.  (3) As soon as I was done kneading the dough, I separated it into 13 balls so I wouldn't have to work it as much after it had risen.  The smoother the ball, the smoother and more attractive the crust will be.
(4) After forming the balls, I lightly rolled in oil to prevent sticking--not sure if that was needed--I'll skip that next time.  Now is the time to let the dough rise.  (5)  Next time I'll try adding 1 T sugar and 2 t salt to the boiling water (to help brown the crust).  The longer you boil the bagel, the denser and chewier the bagel with be.  Boiling them for just a brief amount of time will still allow the crust to be elastic and the bagels will rise slightly.  (6) Remove from water and drain or lightly pat dry.  (7) Use parchment paper to cook on.

I separated half the dough (for cheese bagels), and mixed in 1/2 cup raisins and 1 tsp cinnamon in the remaining dough.  Before baking, I sprinkled the plain bagels with cheese and the cinnamon bagels with 1/2 tsp of brown sugar each.  Yum!  My kids loved them.  We'll be trying blueberry next!

No comments:

Post a Comment