Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Old Fashion Oatmeal Cookies


*I copied this recipe over a decade ago from my Grandmother Jennie's recipe box.  Who knows how long she had it.  That got me to thinking, "What makes a cookie old fashion?"  Whatever the answer is, there is a certain nystalga about this cookie.  Maybe it was me imagining Grandma making them for my Dad as a little boy.  It was like I could feel her celebrating fall with the warm smell of cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice--perfect for the first chilly day of the autumn.  Now, I must admit, I didn't think old fashion meant healthy, but with only 1/2 cup butter in 3 dozen cookies and 3 bananas with 2 cups oatmeal, this is a happy cookie.  Expect a healthy taste.


Ingredients:
1/2 cup flour
1/2 t backing soda
2 t cinnamon
1 t allspice
1/2 t cloves
1 t salt
1/2 c butter
1 1/2 c sugar (I took that to mean 1 c brown sugar and 1/2 c white)
1 egg
3 ripe mashed bananas
2 c oatmeal
1 c chopped nuts (I used cashews, as that's what I had)
1 c chocolate chips

Directions:
Shift dry ingredients together.  Cream butter with sugar until fluffy.  Add egg and bananas mixing well.  Stir in oats, nuts, chocolate chips.  Let stand 10 minutes.  Drop from teaspoon on a well greased cookie sheet.  Bake at 375 degrees F for 10-12 minutes.

Yields 40 cookies.

*These cookies will tend to flatten.  I actually left the dough in the refrigerator for more than an hour before baking to help with that.  I also like the thought that I ended up with 41 cookies--after my kiddos and eye snacked on some of the dough--that means Grandma liked dough, too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment