Saturday, July 31, 2010

Homemade Roasted Tomatoes

– 10-14 roma tomatoes (you could experiment with other tomatoes, but romas are less delicate and less seedy and work well)
- Olive oil (probably about 1/4 – 1/2 cup)
- 1-2 garlic cloves, minced
- Salt (kosher, preferably)
- Pepper
- Spices you like – Oregano, Basil, Parsley, Red Pepper Flakes, whatever!
- Sugar

Add minced garlic to the olive oil and let sit while you prepare the tomatoes. Slice tomatoes into wedges, 8 per tomato. Spread on cookie sheet and brush with garlic olive oil. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, spices, and sugar. Bake at 200 degrees for 2-6 hours or so.

*I didn't follow this recipe too closely, but adapted it to make a pasta dish to compliment Garlic Chicken.  It turned out so well even Jeff liked the tomatoes so I thought I better add this to the recipe list.  I actually used cherry tomatoes from my garden and a few pretty girls that I had picked.  The picture above shows them uncooked, the cherry tomatoes cut in half and the pretty girls sliced in about 8 sections.  I seasoned as suggested using less olive oil, fresh garlic, kosher salt, pepper, fresh basil, and just a hint of sugar.  They began baking at 200 degrees, but I left them in the oven when I cooked the garlic chicken at a much higher temperature.  When they were roasted, I tossed with bowtie pasta and it was a beautiful, aromatic side.  Can't wait for more tomatoes to ripen so I can try this again!

No comments:

Post a Comment