Saturday, March 13, 2010
Chocolate, Cranberry & Oat Bars
Total time 45 min
1 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup orange juice
1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups oats
1 t baking powder
1/4 t salt
3/4 cup margarine, softened
1 1/2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
4 squares semi-sweet baking chocolate, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup pecan or walnut pieces
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combing cranberries and orange juice in microwaveable bowl. Microwave on high for 30 sec. Let stands 10 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, combine flour, oats, baking powder and salt; set aside.
4. Beat margarine and sugar in a large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating until well blended after each mixture, mixing well after each addition.
5. Gradually add flour mixture, mixing well after each addition.
6. Stir in cranberry mixture, chocolate and pecans.
7. Spread dough into 13x9-inch baking pan sprayed with cooking spray.
8. Bake 20 to 22 min, or until center is set. Cool completely on wire rack before cutting to serve.
*Ivan and Jeff loved these (and Jeff isn't a big oatmeal fan--they were just so chewy).