2 lbs cut into ½ inch filets
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, thinly sliced
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp garlic salt
1 tsp dried oregano
¼ tsp pepper
2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
Warmed pita folds
Sliced tomatoes and lettuce, for serving
1. Heat 1 T olive oil over medium-high heat in a skillet while slicing the beef. Pat beef dry with paper towels to remove any moisture.
2. When oil is warmed add beef to skillet being careful to place in one row only.
3. Brown beef for a few minutes on each side. Transfer meat to slow cooker.
4. While beef is browning combine ¼ cup olive oil, garlic salt, oregano, pepper and lemon juice in a small bowl. Pour over the meat and toss to coat, in the slow cooker. Toss in the sliced onions.
5. Cover and cook on LOW for 6-10 hours (depending on your slow cooker) or until beef is extremely tender. (If it’s not tender, it’s not done yet, my was falling apart after 6 hours).
6. Break up the meat into smaller bite-size pieces.
7. Serve beef over pita folds with Tzatziki sauce, onions, tomatoes and lettuce.
For Tzatziki: (this is 1/2 of the original recipe...plenty for the amount of meat)
1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
1/2 cup peeled cucumber, seeded and shredded
1/2 Tbsp dried dill or 1 Tbsp fresh dill
1/8 tsp salt
1 small garlic clove, minced
Salt and pepper
1. Combine yogurt, cucumber, dill, salt and garlic in medium bowl. Stir until creamy and combined.
2. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve with gyros.
*This meat was delicious! Absolutely loved them. I really like dill so the sauce was perfect, even my husband who isn't a big fan of dill liked it with the gyros. You could use sour cream in place of the Greek yogurt if you wanted. For the kids, I cut the pitas in half and made a pocket out of them, easier for little hands to eat.