Thursday, February 10, 2011

Caprese Skewers

From Mel's Kitchen
Ingredients:
1 pint cherry tomatoes, red or yellow
1 bunch basil leaves (about 18-30 leaves, the big ones can be cut in half or thirds)
8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese
Balsamic vinegar, for drizzling
2-3 dozen long toothpicks/skewers
Slice the cherry tomatoes in half so you end up with two half-basketball pieces. Slice the mozzarella into bite-sized chunks. Slide a piece of mozzarella onto the toothpick. Fold a basil leaf in half or thirds and nestle it up next to the mozzarella (large leaves can be cut into halves or even thirds). Slide a tomato onto the bottom of the skewer, cut side down. Move the mozzarella and basil down to meet the tomato if needed. You want the flat side of the tomato to be right at the end of the toothpick so it stands up straight. Place all the finished skewers on a paper plate or tray. Drizzle lightly with balsamic vinegar and transfer to a platter to serve.
*I couldn't resist this little appetizer when I found Mel's recipe on her site.  I have to admit, they were meant for our Superbowl Party, but I didn't get them ready in time (okay, that might not be completely true--these take just minutes to pull together, I guess I just wanted them for myself!).

No comments:

Post a Comment