Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Bacon and Cabbage

Adapted from Allrecipes
*If I try and new recipe and don't think I'll want to make it again, I usually don't go to the effort of posting it.  This is one that I may not make again (but then, there is aways a chance I'll have leftover cabbage and this wasn't a bad way to use it).  I hope not to offend anyone by saying this, but eating this dish made me feel....old fashion, like a farmer eating off the land, a pioneer, European--in the Dark Ages.  Ha, ha.  I served this as a side, helped myself to multiple servings (but my 2 year old and I were the only ones at the table to do so) and ate the leftovers cold for lunch the next day.  They were even good cold. 

Ingredients:
6 bacon strips, diced
1 small head cabbage, chopped (I used 1/2 of a fairly large head, seemed to work just fine)
1 clove garlic, minced
1 small onion (or to liking), chopped
3/4 t salt
1 t ground mustard

Directions:
1.  In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp.  Remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 1 T drippings.  
2.  Satue onions and garlic in 1 T of drippings.  Add cabbage and stir-fry to desired tenderness, you may need to add a couple tablespoons of water to assist in this.  Add salt, mustard, and bacon; cook and stir until heated through.

No comments:

Post a Comment