Saturday, July 31, 2010

Kaiserschmarrn (Emperor's Pancakes)


Ingredients:
- 2 C flour
- 1 C milk
- pinch salt
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1/4 C butter
- 1/4 C sugar
- 1/2 C butter
- 1/2 C raisins (traditional, but optional)
- 1/2 c butter
- 2 T powdered sugar

Directions:
Mix flour and milk together. Add salt. Stir in egg yolks, 1/4 C butter and raisins (if using). Beat egg whites in a separate bowl with the sugar until peaks form. Melt 1/2 C butter in a 12 inch skillet that can be placed in the oven. Add egg whites to the flour mixture and pour batter into pan. Bake at 375 degrees F for 18 minutes. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve with plum sauce.

*This was a fun experiment for Saturday breakfast and my family informed me it was definitely a keeper. Just a few personal notes, if you look at the original recipe post, the skillet looks very shallow--I used a deep skillet and was glad I did as mine was definitely meant for a deep dish--next time I'll use my larger skillet and perhaps it will not be as thick (which really wasn't a problem, though I did cook it for 22 minutes). We left out the raisins and served it with powdered sugar and syrup. 1/2 cup was a lot of butter to cook the batter in--I think I could safely decrease it to 1/4 cup and not loose too much flavor. Enjoy eating like a king!

No comments:

Post a Comment